Thursday, March 29, 2012

March Birchbox


There was a slight delay in my Birchbox this month, do you think they were just messing with me because it was my birthday? Well... the real reason may be that there were two box options to choose from this month, the regular March shipment or the special Teen Vogue box. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I spent about 20 minutes staring at my email, trying to decide which one I wanted. Because I faced turning another year older this month, I went with the Teen Vogue box to make myself feel younger. Let's see if it worked...




 At first glance, I was feeling a little "dat it?", but then I slowly realized I'd scored two full size products in one box. Mmhmm, my eyes glittered like the sparkly essie nail polish I was eyeballing, and I tore into the Teen Vogue goodies with gusto.

Hello, razzle dazzle nails! These are super sparkly top coats that can be worn alone or over a couple of coats of solid polish. I'd strongly advise against wearing them alone, since the glitter can be difficult to remove. I used two rounds of acetone and still ended up having to scrape the silver glitter off one piece at a time. Luckily, I'd only applied it to one nail! But when worn over regular nail polish, it came off without any problems. There are five options: silver, gold, pearl, pink and an almost bare shimmer - my box contained the silver color, "Set in Stones". I was really excited about the polish, because I'd been wanting to it for a couple of weeks and because it's a full size bottle! Woo hoo! 


I've heard of Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien, but had never smelled any of her other perfumes. Petite Cherie is really nice, it's very delicate and soft with very fruity notes and a subtle musky vanilla scent mixed in as well. I'm not sure I love it $85 worth, but I'll be using my sample a few days throughout the week for a full trial run. I was afraid that the perfume sample in the Teen Vogue box would be too youthful,  but this is a really pleasant surprise. Very sophisticated teens nowadays! 


As a long haired lady, I'm a little particular about my hair ties - I really only use Goody's Ouchless Elastics. I remember these from a previous Birchbox (before my Whoreder days) and if memory serves, Charlotte got them too (she wasn't a fan). This is one of those products Charlotte and I agreed to disagree about, because I love them. They're not just a piece of elastic from a fabric store, it's much softer and doesn't ever pull my hair or leave a weird bump/bend in it. They're more expensive than my favorites from Goody, but last a lot longer and are easier to keep track of. These are a nice splurge for your hair, and even if you don't buy these, remember to be kind to your hair and don't use rubber bands or cheap bands that will snag your hair! 


Most of us are familiar with blotting papers, right? For those that aren't, in a nutshell - these are small sheets that soak up excess oil on your skin when you press them against your face. Pretty simple, kinda gross, but pure genius. The first ones I ever tried were from Shiseido, and I may have still been in high school, so it was about 100 years ago. You can find blotting papers from various brands, everywhere from department stores, Sephora and your local drugstore. Shiseido's blotting papers are pretty kick ass, but they're a bit expensive ($18 for 100). You can get 100 Sephora brand blotters for $8 - the Sephora film is more expensive at $10 for only 50. And for the record, there's only a 1/2 star rating difference between the Sephora brand and Shiseido. 


I've sang the praises of tarte's LipSurgence before, in this post, I still love the stuff. I was doing a happy dance when I saw a full size tube in my March box! I got a tube of "Peaceful", which is a nude peach shade. Not a color I'd normally buy, but I had to eat my words because I ended up really liking it! Perfect for a light makeup day, or when you want to go full drama with the eye and tone down your lips. Yay!
 


Bonus: A coupon for $10 off at ModCloth... which I used almost immediately.

And that's the March Teen Vogue Birchbox! I was most excited about the essie nail polish, since it's something I've been wanting to try for a while. Lots of good stuff, I'm glad I took a risk and opted in for this one. Now I'm eagerly counting down the days until my April box arrives. Have you signed up for Birchbox or any other monthly sample service yet? Share your stories, or ask questions in the comments below!

Like us on Facebook for daily doses of love: Whoreders on Facebook



*Photos courtesy of Birchbox 

4 comments:

  1. I am considering go backto BB, this box is pretty cool, I actually only like the coupon, the polish and the tarte gloss. Super jel that you got two full sized items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal was to lure you back, I had a feeling full size products might do it. j/k! But if you do come back, use my friend code so I can get points and buy fancy hair ties!

      Delete
  2. Oooh what did you order from Modcloth? I think I'm ready to take the BB plunge: can you send me your friend code/link? also, have you heard of Stitch Fix yet? It's like BB but for clothes. It is still in Beta phase but intrigues me. Even though, clothes are such a personal thing that I'm also weary of it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I requested an invite for it anyway, bc why not?
    https://stitchfix.com/

    ReplyDelete