Friday, February 3, 2012

My Three Favorite C's: Cute, Cheap, Cupcakes !

Hey readers, as many of you know (because I won't stop talking about), it is my daughter Penny's 2nd birthday this Saturday. Today is her birthday party at day care and I wanted to make something fun and cheap for her class as a yummy treat! What better to celebrate with the always fun and delicious Cupcake Cones?
What you will need:
Cupcake Mix
Water
Oil
Eggs
Empty Egg Carton OR Muffin Pan
Frosting (preferably Funfetti)
I got all ingredients for about $7.50 and this made about 24 cupcakes! Cupcake mix & Frosting are on sale at Vons right now, and eggs are on sale at the 99 cent store. If you're lucky, you can find ALL ingredients at the 99 cent store, making it even cheaper !
How to do it:
1.) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2.) I'm sure all of you know how to make boxed cupcake mix, but just in case... Mix ingredients together in amounts specified on the box until lumps are gone.
3.) Fill cones about 2/3 full of batter as some will sink to the bottom. If you fill it too much, it will overflow while baking (as you will see in my pics lol).
4.) Place cones in either a muffin tin or an egg carton., making sure to stagger them so they have room to puff up. The egg carton DOES NOT catch on fire I swear ! Make sure you take off the top portion of the egg carton as the heat can make the ink smoke, and you don't need it anyways. 
5.)  Bake at 350 for approximately 20 -25 minutes. Take out and let cool completely before frosting.
6. I put my frosting in a Ziploc bag and cut off the tip to make a cheap piping bag. This way you get more of the swirly ice cream look.
7.) Let your little one put on the sprinkles and voila !

No comments:

Post a Comment