Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Summer Skin Essentials



Every Summer I make my annual trip(s) to the store (or my computer depending how lazy I feel that day) for some Summer essentials. I fill my basket with sunblock, after sun care, lotion, lip balm and other goodies. I've gathered a few of the Summer necessities to maintain that beautiful skin of yours!

Face Sunblock


Because we are Whoreders and like things nice and cheap, I will tell you my favorite, inexpensive moisturizer/face sunblock is Olay Professional ProX Clear UV Moisturizer. It is lightweight, non greasy, provides sun UVA/UVB protection, oil free and most importantly for me non-comedogenic  (it will not block your pores). However, my absolute favorite moisturizer/sunblock, despite the price, is Clinique Super City Block, Oil-Free, SPF 40, $19 for 1.4 oz, ouch! It not only blocks UVA/UVB rays, but also softens your skin, is non-greasy, and doesn't ever clog your pores PLUS it has such a high SPF! According to some reviews however, it can leave you with a bit of an ashy tone if you are a bit on the darker skinned side so watch out!

All Over Sunblock 

Coppertone ultraGuard Sunscreen Lotion, UVA/UVB Protection, SPF 30, 8-Ounce BottleNeutrogena Ultra Sheer SPF 45 Twin Pack 3.0 Fl Oz

Even though you are I am sure that you are lounging around in the sun with an amazing oversized hat, some trendy but useful sunglasses, and you never ever burn, please, for the love of God, put on sunblock. Better to be safe than sizzled. According to the CDC "in 2008 (the most recent year numbers are available) 59,695 people in the United States were diagnosed with melanomas of the skin, including 38,484 men and 25,211 women and 8,623 people in the United States died from melanomas of the skin, including 5,672 men and 2,951 women". 

Gone are the days of of thick white sunblock that is impossible to rub in. Nowadays, there are a wide variety of types, brands, and price ranges to choose from. Most doctors seem to agree that there is not one specific sunblock people should buy, however, there are a few requirements of a good sunblock. Your sunblock should be 15-30 SPF (for UVB rays), contain  at least titanium dioxide or zinc oxide (for UVA rays) and be water/sweat resistant. So find a brand you like that meets these requirements and slather away ladies and gents in the name of being melanoma free and don't forget to re apply every 2-3 hours.

Aloe Vera & After Sun Care

Banana Boat Aloe Vera Gel - 16 oz.Opens in a new windowBanana Boat Aloe After Sun Lotion, 16-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 4)

I'm not sure if it is actually better than other brands, or if I love it because I used it throughout my childhood but Banana Boat ($5) makes my favorite Aloe Vera gel and Aloe After Sun moisturizing lotion ($7). They both relieve dryness and that tight feeling you can get after being in the sun too long. The gel is better for actual sunburns or just being out in the sun too long but it can leave you with an "icky" residue or feeling (or is that just me ?) This is where the After Sun Lotion comes into play, it soothes dry/tight skin and deposits moisture back in without leaving you with an icky or greasy feeling. It supposedly enhances your tan as well but I don't know how accurate that is.

Self Tanner

Jergens® natural glow Revitalizing Daily MoisturizerJergens® natural glow FACE Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 20Jergens® natural glow Foaming Daily Moisturizer
I love the sun. I love the feel of it and there is nothing like the bronze goddess outcome of a nice, long roasting session all slathered in oil. However two things have happened as I have gotten older. I slowly have become wary of the sun and it's effects on my skin as well as I have fallen into an old person routine that leaves me absolutely no time to sunbathe even if I wanted to. That being said, I still like to get a little bit of color and makeup can only do so much. This is where Sunless Tanning agents come into play. For as long as I can remember I have always used Jergens Natural Glow products. Their Natural Glow line of products offers body lotion, face moisturizer, foaming body lotion, and much more! Each product is typically under $10 and all work amazingly well. One thing to remember, please exfoliate before you start using self tanner so your tan will be even!

Exfoliator/Scrub
AquaBella Exfoliating Bath Cloth (Twin Pack) (colors will vary)

I love exfoliators and scrubs. My current favorite scrub is Alba Hawaiian Body Polish. It smells like vacation and makes your skin super soft and smooth. I'm yet to meet a bad scrub, but this is one of my all time favorites. And although I am not a big fan of harsh scrubs, sometimes you really need one. The only person I know that actually enjoys a good 'ol harsh scrub down is Heather. So upon the recommendation of Heather and her baby raw err..soft skin, go buy this towel exfoliator.


That's it for today, remember to cover up from the sun as much as possible, and stay hydrated in addition to using these (or any other) products to maintain your excellent epidermis. If you have any favorite products, we would love to hear what they are and why you swear by them. Please leave a comment below or on our FB!

No comments:

Post a Comment