Thursday, June 14, 2012

Father's Day Craft: Salt Dough Handprints

I was cleaning our house the other day and tucked away in the closet I found a very small hand print keepsake of my husband's chubby little hand from when he was little and it inspired me to make some with my own little one. I first attempted to tackle my dog and get a paw print but she was not having it...

I must admit this project was more for me than it was my husband or our dad(s). As you all know by now, I am obsessed with my daughter. Seriously, I need some help. That being said I not only made one handprint keepsake like a normal person, I made four. Yes, I said four. However I justified it because my husband has a shit ton of (can I say that on TV? Oh we're not on TV? okay then...) awesome dads and we are giving these out for Father's Day presents this year. You can make them for any occasion or even just because they are tons of fun to make with your little ones. An added bonus is there are very few ingredients, they  are non-toxic and easy to clean up.

Ingredients: (Makes 2 hand prints)

*1 cup of salt

*1 cup of flour

*1/2 (ish) cup of water

*Measuring Cup

*Large mixing bowl



Instructions:

1) Pour salt and flour in mixing bowl.




2) Pour water in slowly until you have enough. This part is really trial and error, 1/2 cup seemed to make it a bit sticky so I had to add a bit
more flour.  You do not want it to be sticky or crumbly.




3) Next, mix up the ingredients until you have a nice dough like consistency.





4) Take the dough, cut it in half and make a ball. Flatten the ball until you have a nice looking circle. You can put it into a shallow bowl or container if you want a perfect circle, I however just eyeballed it.



5) Take your little ones hand, foot, or paw and press it firmly into the dough. Make sure you help so they don't wiggle and stretch the dough or mess up the design. However, if you do mess up, all is not lost, just roll it up and start over! Don't forget to poke holes in the dough if you want to string it up when you're done!



6) Put it in the oven at 200 degrees for 2-3 hours. You want it on low heat for a long period of time so it will dry out and harden but not break or burn. (And yes, that is my really dirty oven, don't judge me.) Once they come out, let them cool completely and they are done.








7) This last step is optional. Paint your keepsakes with acrylic paint once they are cool and/or write the date and name of the creature you forced to do this project with you on the keepsake if there is room. I had all ingredients at home; and select Acrylic paints are on sale this week 2 for $1 at Michaels Craft Store plus they always have a bin of .99 cent ribbon. Total cost for me to make these, $2 plus tax!

(I didn't think about until afterwards of course, but you can put food dye into the dough instead of painting it. Ah hindsight, how thou mockest me.)

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful paint work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are these lightweight enough to hang on a christmas tree? or are they more of a decoration for walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These particular ones were made for wall decoration. I think with a little tweaking, they could hang on a Christmas tree. Just make sure you make them a little bit thinner and a little bit smaller in diameter! I will try and make some ornament sized around the holidays as well! Good luck and let me know how they turn out if you make them!

      Delete
  3. Is this australian? Just wondering for the oven temp, 200 degrees seems very hot
    Such a cute idea, so want to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will admit that 200 degrees was not my first try, I tried 150 degrees and it took forever and seeme dough-y in the middle and very dry on the edges. Next round I tried 200 degrees and it worked out perfectly for me! Good luck, they are tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im obsessed with keepsakes too!! Any other good tips??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im obsessed with keepsakes too!! Any other good tips??

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter's is in the oven as I type this! Thanks for the idea! We first tried a plaster kit but it didn't turn out, so this was great in a pinch! I added a bit of red food coloring like you suggested and it turned out a perfect pink, Which looks great since we used a heart mold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter's is in the oven as I type this! Thanks for the idea! We first tried a plaster kit but it didn't turn out, so this was great in a pinch! I added a bit of red food coloring like you suggested and it turned out a perfect pink, Which looks great since we used a heart mold. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks about the plaster kit but I'm glad you found our instructions in time to try something else! If you feel up to it, we would love to see the finished product!

      Not only are these cheap and easy, but they are really fun and now it's a new memory you and your daughter will have (providing she is old enough, lol).

      Delete
  9. I wonder if I used a flat cookie sheet if I could put all my kids in one plaster and hang it. I know i would need to do two or three holes so it wouldnt be too much weight for one string.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! This article could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He continually kept preaching about this. I'll forward this post to him. Pretty sure he'll have a very good read. Thank you for sharing!
    Funny 4th Of July Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can find more useful Friendship Day content and Images from the link here
    Friendship Day Quotes 2018 Quotes

    ReplyDelete