Friday, May 25, 2012

Get Nailed: Memorial Day Nails

Memorial Day is upon us and in the spirit of Patriotism why not jump on the American bandwagon and show my support of this holiday with my nails ? Okay, maybe I am exploiting Memorial Day for a reason to do my nails again, but hey it's all in good fun right ?

I saw the idea for Doily Nail Art at Hey, Nice Nails. The link is currently on page 5 of their blog but I am sure it will move as they add more nail art. If you are in the Long Beach, CA area, go check 'em out. They will do your nails and they also book events! Anyhow, here is a picture of my inspiration from Hey, Nice Nails.

Doily Nail Art Tutorial by Hey, Nice Nails
We were originally going to explain how to create this nail art look by exaggerating this tutorial by the lovely ladies at Polish You Pretty, but someone asked if we would make a tutorial so we decided to give it a go! Enjoy.
1. Apply a base color. The color in the photo is Essie Cocktail Bling
2. Using a contrasting color, paint two heart shaped lobes at the tip of the nail
3. Outline the top of the heart in white
4. Use a large sized dotting tool to make white circles around the top of the heart
5. With your base color and a smaller sized dotting tool, make small dots inside the larger white dots
6. Use the smaller dotting tool and make small white dots around the inside of the heart
7. Top everything off with a good thick layer to topcoat to seal in your artwork!

And here are my nails. They are not nearly as awesome as the tutorial however I had no tools. They are cute and remond me of flags, which I guess was the point right? Anyhow, this nail design has inspired me to go full nail salon on your ass and buy all the brushes and tools that I need to be fancy. So watch out for future episodes of Get Nailed!

No comments:

Post a Comment