Thursday, May 17, 2012

Corona & Lime Cupcakes



Picture & recipe directly from LaurenConrad.com 



Corona & Lime cupcakes, yum. I originally got this idea & recipe from Lauren Conrad...yes, the girl from Laguna Beach and The Hills. And yes I'm pregnant and baking with beer, don't judge me. I didn't eat any of the cupcakes because no one would let me. However, I would like to point at that according to certain sources, only 35% of alcohol in this specific recipe is retained after baking. I'm not a math wizard by any means, but 35% of a beer that is 4.5% alcohol level (of which I only used 1/2 a bottle) probably equals close to nothing. Bottom line, I didn't have any but I really wanted to.

Anyways, I digress...where was I? Oh yeah, cupcakes. I made these cupcakes for a Cinco de Mayo fiesta and they were a hit. The cake is almost corn bread like in texture, and still retains a hint of the Corona taste, and the frosting is amazing! I read that LC (yeah, we are on a nickname basis), didn't care too much for the frosting as it was too rich and sweet, so I cut down on the powdered sugar and what came out was a cream cheese frosting with a hint of lime, SO good! I realized these cupcakes aren't only fun for Cinco de Mayo, but for BBQ's and other summer time gatherings! 

Makes 24 cupcakes
*All of these ingredients I already had in the house except for the limes so my total for this recipe was $1.23!*



  • 3/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1-3/4 cup sugar
  • 2-1/2 cup flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp lime zest
  • 1 cup Corona beer, plus more for brushing on tops
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • Lime wedges
Instructions for the Cupcakes
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add eggs, beating after each addition then add the vanilla and zest.
  5. Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour. (I put the beer in first and then the flour, the outcome was the same, however it looked curdled before the flour so beware.) Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpicks and brush some beer on each while still warm. (Don't put too much or the cakes will become sticky.) 
Ingredients for the Citrus Frosting
  • 12 oz cream cheese, cold
  • 6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • 4 cups powdered sugar (I used 2.5 cups)
Instructions for the Frosting
  1. Cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.  
  2. Add the citrus juice and zest and gradually add the powdered sugar until combined.  Beat until smooth for about 2 minutes. (I didn't use zest in my frosting, but I did top it with green sugar I made at home for a splash of color.)
  3. Load frosting in a piping bag with a large star tip and pipe cupcake tops once cooled (or Ziploc bag with a hole cut in the tip if you're ghetto like me).  

Let us know if you have made these before or attempt to make them after reading this post. We would love to hear any changes or personal touches you made to the recipe that made it amazing! Until then, keep on Whoreding!

No comments:

Post a Comment