Friday, July 6, 2012

Get Nailed: Nautical Nails

It's that time of the year where Nautical print is back in (does it ever really go "out"?) and I'm loving it! I will post later this week a round up of some uber cute nautical themed stuff that you really should consider buying either for yourself or even as a gifts! But for now, I will settle on showing off my awesome (if I do say so myself) nautical print nails!

A few common themes for nautical designs are fish (my fave), a compassrope/netting, anchors & stripes, pirates, a sail boat or you can even apply 3D nail art ! Don't forget essential colors to have on hand are some combination of white, blue, yellow, red,, silver and/or gold. I could go on and on with all the fun stuff you could do, but believe it or not, I'm going to keep it simple this week and jump on the stripes and anchors bandwagon.

I don't know why I kept running into so many problems with this manicure. I initially couldn't decide which colors I wanted to use or what type of design I wanted to draw. Once I decided what to do, I kept smudging my design and having to start all over. I tried to freehand stripes but I don't have a blue nail art pen or nail brush so those came out horrible, then I tried to paint my nails white, place scotch tape where I wanted the white stripes to go then paint over that with navy blue but it kept ripping off my white polish. In short, I felt like an idiot. I finally decided to paint scotch tape blue, yes I said paint the tape, and cut it into strips.

1) Take a strip of scotch tape and paint it whatever color you would like your stripes to be, let dry.

2) Cut colored tape into straight strips, trim to fit nail and cut them to your preferred thickness (that's what she said).

3) Apply the base coat, then pick a base color. I used white for all fingers except my middle I used a glitter red.

4) Next, after white polish is dry, apply your stripes and cover nails with clear top coat.

5) On my middle nail I chose to draw an anchor which is much easier than you would think. Check out this really simple tutorial here. and BAM!, we're done!

1 comment: