Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dope Jello Poke Cupcakes


I threw a 1990s party on Saturday. I know you're jealous and you should be. I've been busy for weeks but I really wanted to make some homemade cupcakes for the event, so I picked up a box of lemon cake mix, a jar of Pillsbury Pink Lemonade frosting, and... a box of cherry Jell-O.

Say whaaaa?

They ended up being so tasty I have to tell you about them so you can make some of your own and have a party in your mouth.

FIRST. Whip up the cake mix per directions on box, bake as you would normally and let the cupcakes cool off a bit. Pick up a fork and go Scary Movie on them, stabbing them repeatedly.

Combine the gelatin mix and 1 cup hot water in a bowl, make sure you mix until fully disolved. Once mixed, very carefully and slowly spoon the liquid over the tops of the cupcakes. Very slowly. If you're like my sister, you will passive-aggressively poke at the cupcakes with your spoon, deciding that they were not taking on enough liquid fast enough. Fill each cupcake with about 1-2 tablespoons, 3 if you're feeling crazy.

Chill in the fridge for an hour or two.

For my frosting... I just can't leave things alone, even on a time crunch, so I threw it in a bowl and beat it with some lemon peel and juice and a little extra red food dye until it was fluffy derishious.

And yes, those are Homies. I think they were excited about the cupcakes, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment