Friday, April 12, 2013

Vanessa's Obession of the Month: Soapwalla Deodorant Cream



Greetings and salutations, welcome to our newest addition - Vanessa's Obsession of the Month! Because I always seem to be obsessing over something, I thought it would be nice to share my mania with you, my favorite people. I'll try to keep it fresh, introducing things you may not have heard of, but will also reintroduce some classics that may have fallen off your radar. Let's do this...

The inaugural obsession is: Soapwalla's Deodorant Cream! This actually isn't an obsession of the month, since I've been using it for almost a year - but I realized I hadn't told that many people about it. Perhaps because the old pits don't come up in regular conversation, or we shy away from discussing our more intimate rituals? Who knows, but it's high time I shout about this stuff from the rooftops.

I first heard about it from my friend Marie, when she took part in the Deodorant Reviews on Rookie. I was intrigued by the idea of a good natural deodorant, because my previous experiences have (literally) stunk. Although it's still not scientifically proven to be harmful, I want to avoid deodorants with aluminum. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer (she's been cancer free for over 5 years, yay!), so I started being extra cautious about the products I was using. Also, the idea of a natural alternative is just plain nice. I want the things I'm consuming and coming into contact with to be as good for me as possible, and that usually means a little more legwork to find them and a little more money to purchase them.

So let's discuss the one big drawback - Cost. Soapwalla's Deodorant Cream will run you $14, which might drive some of you away immediately. But wait, hear me out! Yes, it's quite a bit more than regular $4 deodorant from the drug store - but think about what you're paying for. Soapwalla uses organic, natural, REAL ingredients. No additives, harmful chemicals, parabens, petroleum, or aluminum compounds. Here's my stance on saving (and Whoreding) - there are some corners I am okay cutting. This isn't one of them - I put more thought about what goes in and on my body, and I'm willing to splurge if it means a better quality product that may be less harmful to me.

Okay, on to the obsession of it all...
Soapwalla Deodorant Cream
It's not your usual deodorant, it doesn't come in a stick or tube, but rather in a little screw-top container and looks kinda like frosting. If it's warm, it might separate a bit, no biggie, just stir it up and let it chill in the freezer for a while. You apply it with your fingers, take a little and just smear it on your pits like lotion. Aside from being all natural and all that good junk, it absorbs right in and leaves NO RESIDUE. Do you know how thrilled I am that I never have to worry about white deodorant marks all over my gothic black clothing?! Also, It's a vegan product, and Soapwalla does no animal testing.

The deodorant cream is unisex, so the smell is pretty neutral - I mostly smell the tea tree oil and lavender notes. I've let a couple of men try it, and they agreed it's neither masculine nor feminine. We agreed that overall the smell is best described as clean and fresh.

It contains jojoba oil, and I've learned that some people are sensitive to this ingredient, and it can cause some skin sensitivity or an allergic reaction. I've used it for almost a year without any negative reactions, and my mom (who is so sensitive she can't use any deodorant/lotion/soap with fragrance or dyes) had zero sensitivity to Soapwalla. If I had some sort of rating system, Soapwalla Deodorant Cream would get top marks, I love it and use it everyday!

1 comment:

  1. Homemade natural skin care recipes are a fun and affordable, ... Give toxic antiperspirants and deodorants the boot with simple and effective homemade deodorant recipes. Natural Deodorant

    ReplyDelete