Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Welcome to My New Obsession: Pinterest



Once upon a time there was an addictive website called Pinterest. The end. No seriously, it was the end of me. Remember when you were younger and you loved tearing articles, recipes, and pictures out of magazines? Some of us would make a collage or decorate our room, others would put them in photo albums and make books. Most of these were things we wanted to do, be, or make. Simply put, they were the things we lusted after.

Pinterest has brought this obsessiveness to a whole new level by adding technology up in the mix. "Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes. Best of all, you can browse pinboards created by other people. Browsing pinboards is a fun way to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests. To get started, request an invite. "

As soe of you may know, my world is currently full of pregnant women, including myself, my sister-in-law, and my sister. When I found out I would be throwing a baby shower for my Sister-In-Law, and then shortly after that one for my Sister, my first thought was Pinterest! Oh goody, a chance to be the super crafty woman in real life that I pretend to be online! My sister-in-laws baby shower was this passed weekend and flew by in a crazy whirl of Pinterest inspired pink and zebra decor and dessert. 

1) Mini Cupcakes: Here are my Mini-Cupcakes in condiment cups found on Pinterest, originally from Matthew Mead. They are super easy and super cute. I just grabbed a bunch of ketchup cups from a local fast food joint , some funfetti cake mix and Betty Crocker spray cupcake icing. Make sure you show your guests that they can peel the condiment wrapper off like a normal cupcake, otherwise, they will  inevitably try and squeeze it out like it's a jello shot!


2) "Zebra Cookies": Next I made my version of this Pinterest pink peanut butter kiss cookies. These did not  come out how I had hope for but they still tasted delicious. They are simple peanut butter blossoms, except I used a Hershey Hugs in the middle to tie it in with my zebra theme. I made my own colored sugar which was very pink in the container, but once baked it was hardly noticeable. Maybe next time I will put food coloring in the cookie dough itself to make more vibrant color!


3) Decorations: And what do-it-yourself-pretend-to-be-crafty baby shower would be complete without a diaper cake? However, my fabulous in-law Ray (Damn him!) made my sister-in-law a diaper cake before I could even buy the supplies I needed! And seriously, check this sucker out, it even shamed my unborn ideas for what a diaper cake should look like. There was no way I could outdo him. So instead, I admitted defeat and focused on small centerpieces. My husband helped me with the idea of  "basket" centerpieces. Each centerpiece has one blanket wrapped around the outside, two baby items inside (shampoo, lotion, powder etc.), three washcloths tied (taped) together for the handle and a hanging pacifier for a useful decoration.


I have so many ideas for my sisters shower now but that won't be until November/December time frame as she is due in January. We find out if it's a boy or girl this Friday and then I can go Pinterest crazy again with all of you! If you want instructions on how to make any of these decorations or desserts, please leave a comment below, e-mail us or head on over to our FB page! Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment