Thursday, August 30, 2012

Crockpot Tortilla Soup

So the other day my pregnant brain was on Pinterest, and it was hungry. The first thing to catch my eye was the picture below which links to a very simple, easy to follow, not to mention yummy recipe for CrockPot Tortilla Soup originally pinned from Miller Musings!


 
CROCKPOT CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
 

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
*Fresh is best but I used frozen and it came out great!
2 cans  Rotel
*Original chef prefers lime & cilantro, but I used Rotel w/ Green Chilies.
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn
1 onion, chopped
*I only used half of a large one and it was more than enough.
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
*I used regular for more flavor.
1-2 cups of water
*I only used 1 1/2 cups because I figured of the extra water in the frozen chicken breasts.
1 Tbsp garlic powder
*I used 2 Tbsp, I LOVE garlic!
1 Tbsp chili powder
*Again, I used closer to 2 Tbsp for extra flavor.
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp dried cilantro
*I personally don't care for cilantro so I left this step out but I hear it's delicious...
Tortilla chips
Sour cream
*Optional for a topping after soup is finished.
Shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese.

*Note about the spices: Instead of the spices listed, you could include a packet of Taco seasoning if you prefer or if it easier or less inexpensive for you. I happened to have all of these spices on hand...*

Per Miller Musings; "Put chopped onion, cans of [rinsed] beans, rotel, corn, chicken broth, water, and spices into the CrockPot and stir to mix. Put chicken breasts on top of mixture and make sure they’re at least partly submerged in liquid. Cook on high 6-7 hours or low 8-9 hours. Before serving remove the chicken breasts from soup and shred, if needed, (sometimes they’ll just fall apart on their own, but sometimes they need some help). Return chicken to CrockPot, stir to combine."


To serve, you can put a few tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl, ladle soup over tortilla chips, top with shredded cheese, and a sour cream if that's your thing. I like to serve it with chips or tortilla chip strips on top so they don't get soggy! And Voila, delicious but most importantly EASY Tortilla Soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment