Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hendrick's Gin



BzzAgent sent me an invite to review Hendrick's Gin and I was like, "whaaaa... drink booze for half price?" and I instantly signed up even though I didn't think I liked gin.

Last time I drank the clear liquid I fell asleep on a Jersey City toilet, forehead on the seat. But that's another story for another time.

When I received the paperwork I was intrigued with their Victorian vibe, their use of the word "curiousitorium" (isn't it a great word?), and the rose and cucumber flavorings.
I instantly ran out and purchased a bottle, popped it open and took a huge whiff, thinking to myself, "EW, I DON'T LIKE GIN FOR SURE."

I waited for a few gal pals to come over to "suffer through" the cocktails with me... and then it happened. The cocktails were amazing. HEY WAIT A MINUTE, I LIKE GIN. We all like gin. At least Hendrick's gin, anyway. I suppose it's a more "grown up" flavor. I was not ready for Hendrick's gin in my 20s, but at the wise ol' age of 32 it is absolutely delish.

My wise ol' gut told me to stick with simple recipes. Let the gin shine, folks. This is not an alcohol that needs to be covered up with sweet juices and sodas. Keep it basic with a bit of soda water and light flavorings that compliment, not detract.

They provided me with recipes from Hendrick's Gin - I scanned them for a while and decided to make my own version for the first round of drinks.

1 part Hendrick's
2 parts soda water
1 1/2 teaspoons orange blossom water
squeeze of lime




Refreshing and a tad unusual with just a hint of the rose and blossom flavors coming through. Perhaps I should name it. How about.... Madame Blossom.

The next cocktail I tried was one on their list: A Cucumber Cooler

1 3/4 parts Hendrick's
3/4 part St. Germain
1/2 part simple syrup
3/4 part fresh lime
top with soda water
garnish with cucumber and mint



I made the simple syrup but didn't have cucumbers or mint laying around for garnish. The ladies and I loved this recipe as well, but found it a little too sweet to drink more than one so we went back to Madame Blossoms for the rest of the night. I think the St. Germain is sugared enough you could get away with not adding the simple syrup to the cocktail.

A few days later I am still drinking Hendrick's cocktails. It cures my workday ailments in the most refreshing way. Tonic for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment